Temporary EU EHP

The CIEH processes Declarations from EU EHPs who wish to work in the UK on a temporary basis in accordance with the Directive on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications 2005/36/EC and the associated European Communities (Recognition of Professional Qualifications) Regulations 2007. The Directive enables qualified professionals to move between Member States to provide services on a temporary and occasional basis as long as they:

  • are a national of a relevant European State or have similar acquired rights;
  • are legally established to practise a relevant profession within a relevant European State other than the UK; and
  • have moved to the UK to provide professional services on a ‘temporary and occasional’ basis, having regard to the duration, frequency, regularity and continuity of those services.

Professionals are required to make a Declaration which informs the CIEH of their intention to provide services.

Temporary and Occasional is not defined in the Directive; however the Directive guidance documents provide the following examples:

“A Spanish veterinary surgeon who is working as a locum for three months in a veterinary office in Portugal.”

“An Estonian doctor who spends three days a month taking care of patients in Lithuania.”

“A Spanish professional diver who goes to work on an oil rig in the United Kingdom for four months.”

If you are unsure whether the work you intend to do in the UK is temporary and occasional please contact the Education Team at education@cieh.org or +44 20 7928 6006 to discuss your circumstances.

Hygeia the EHRB logo